TRAUMA : RELATIONSHIPS : ADOPTION
COUNSELING & PSYCHOTHERAPY IN THE GREATER SACRAMENTO AREA & ONLINE
SOMETIMES LIFE JUST ISN’T GOING THE WAY YOU’D DREAMED IT WOULD. LIFE THREW SOMETHING IN YOUR WAY. LIFE THREW MANY THINGS IN YOUR WAY.
Do you need to make changes in your life but don’t know how or where to start? Is past trauma affecting your ability to enjoy the present? Could you use some help managing your emotions? Are your relationships where you want them to be?
If any of these questions resonate with you, you’re just the kind of person I love to work with. There is a way through the discomfort, challenges, and overwhelm. There is hope. There is a way to create a life you can love again. I know this because I have endured and survived challenges I would never have thought possible, and I am thriving in a life that seemed, for much of my life, to be out of reach.
HI, I’M SUSAN
I am a California registered associate marriage and family therapist #110172, under the supervision of Maura C. Cody, LMFT #96179. I practice in Folsom, CA, but serve clients from all over the Greater Sacramento area. I see clients in the office and via distance therapy using a HIPPA-approved online video platform.
I came to this field later in life, yet throughout my life, I’ve been the one friends, family, and acquaintances approached when they needed friendly, insightful help navigating life’s difficulties – we all have life hurdles. I was always drawn to want to help. As an adopted person, I feel deeply. Coming to counseling is a big deal and I’m never lost on the courage it takes to decide to want change and healing in your life. Are you ready to begin that process?
My approach to therapy is scientifically-based, goal-oriented, and collaborative honoring your humanness and unique life experiences. I provide a safe and non-judgmental environment just for you that fosters trust and your empowerment.
I use a variety of therapeutic approaches and match your needs with the most effective methods. Drawing from my education, formal training, clinical work, and life experiences, I often turn to:
- EMDR; Eye-movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy
- EFT; Emotionally focused therapy
- TF-CBT; Trauma focused cognititve behavioral therapy
- CBT; Cognitive behavioral therapy
- ACT; Acceptance and commitment therapy
- Mindfulness therapy
As a life learner and avid reader, I also consistently research and seek advanced training to continually enhance my therapy skills.
When I’m not helping others in their healing, you can find me spending time with my husband of 24 years and my two young adult daughters, traveling (love road trips!), finding new ways to stay creative, practicing yoga, and exposing myself to as much fresh air and sunshine as possible.
Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy, School of Behavioral Sciences
Bachelor of Arts, Communications Major, Psychology Minor
California State University, Sacramento
- Pre-Clinical Fellow, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Member, California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Board Member, SVC-CAMFT, 2016-2020 (Sacramento Valley)
- Board Member, AAMFT (Sacramento District), 2014-2016
- Achievement Award for Programs, SVC-CAMFT, 2016/2017
- Outstanding Chapter Leader, CAMFT, 2018
- Delta Kappa International Marriage and Family Therapy Honor Society, Iota Chapter
RECENT ONGOING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Healing Shame / Center for Healing Shame
- Trauma-Focused CBT
- Neuroscience for Psychotherapists
- The Effects of Trauma on Relationships and Intimacy
- Process of Change in Evidence-Based Psychotherapy
- Brainspotting Phase 1 & 2
- Emotionally-Focused Therapy (EFT) Externship