Do you need to make changes in your life but don’t know how or where to start?
Is past trauma affecting your ability to enjoy the present?
Could you use some help managing your emotions?
Are your relationships where you want them to be?
If any of these questions resonate with you, or you are facing other obstacles, I’m here to tell you there is hope and I can help. This may be the “About Me” page, but it’s truly for YOU and about how I can support you.
Throughout my life, I’ve always been the one friends, family, and acquaintances approached when they needed friendly help navigating life’s difficulties — we all have these hurdles. I’m an active listener. I like a challenge. I’m able to connect. Mental health, emotional health, physiological brain health, and overall physical wellness are my passions. My own life experiences have shown me the value of different perspectives and the importance of quality exploration, yet with a focus on the future, because that’s where we’re going, right?
I’m glad you’re here. Coming to counseling is a big deal. I’m never lost on the courage it takes to decide to want change and healing in your life and be ready to begin that process.
Philosophy | Methods | Training
My approach to therapy is scientifically-based, strengths-based, goal-oriented, and collaborative honoring your humanness and unique experiences. I provide a safe and non-judgmental environment just for you that fosters trust and your empowerment.
I use a variety of therapeutic approaches and match your needs with the most effective methods. Drawing from my education, formal training, clinical work, and experiences, I often employ:
- Brainspotting (Phase 1)
- Eye-movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR, EMDRIA-Approved Basic Training Parts I and II).
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT, trained by modality developer Dr. Sue Johnson in EFT externship)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
As a life learner I also consistently research and seek advanced training to continually enhance my therapy skills.
Education | Involvement | Recognition
I earned my master’s degree in Marriage and Family Sciences from the School of Behavioral Sciences at Northcentral University (a COAMFTE accredited program; honors graduate), and my bachelor’s degree in Communications from California State University, Sacramento.
I served on the board for the Sacramento Valley Chapter of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (SVC-CAMFT; 2016-2020) and the Sacramento District of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT; 2014-2016).
I was awarded the Achievement Award for Programs for 2016-2017 for SVC-CAMFT and Outstanding Chapter Leader for CAMFT in 2018.
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) – Associate Member
- California Association for Marriage and Family Therapists (CAMFT) – Member
- Sacramento Valley Chapter (SVC-CAMFT) – Associate Member
- International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy – Member
- EMDR International Association – Associate Member
- Delta Kappa International Marriage and Family Therapy Honor Society, Iota Chapter – Member
When I’m not helping others in their healing….
….you can find me spending time with my husband and my teenagers, enjoying travel (especially road trips!), staying creative with photography, and learning and finding new ways to grow as a clinician and human.
Susan Martin, MA, AMFT
California Registered Associate Marriage and Family Therapist #110172
Supervised by Maura C. Cody, LMFT #96179
Phone/Text: (916) 287-3695
111 Woodmere Road, Suite 100
Folsom, CA 95630
I meet with clients either in the office or, when appropriate, via telehealth using a HIPPA secure online video platform.